Heater Question

To: "Datsun-Roadsters (E-mail)" <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Heater Question
From: Thomas Walter <twalter@austin.rr.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2001 07:51:03 -0500
One thing to remember is the heater acts as a little
radiator. Irony is we only turn on that extra radiator
when it is cold out!

I do not recommend using a "bypass hose" that allows
coolant to circulate if the heater core is removed.
This allows coolant to circulate without being cooled
first before re-entering the engine. Small volume
admittedly, but it may aggravate a marginal cooling
system.

When I have by passed the heater core, not much use
for one in Texas during the summer, I just have bought
end plugs (little caps) from Auto Zone (chain store that
carries the HELP line of products).

Cheers,

Tom

P.S. On my old 510 I had a series of bad STANT thermostats
one summer... kept turning on the heater full blast (new
core, nice and hot) to keep from overheating in stop and
go traffic. A little too warm for me, but didn't blow any
head gaskets!