Re: I got my smog test notice !!

To: John Schmitt <jschmi7@us.ibm.com>
Subject: Re: I got my smog test notice !!
From: Thomas Walter <twalter@austin.rr.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2001 19:05:02 -0500
John,

A few recommendations:

Two cans of "isopropyl alcohol" in the tank.

Timing at TDC (don't drive too long this way)

195 Thermostat. Usually I run 180F.

FULL TUNE UP.  As usual I recommend the earlier
SU needles.

CHANGE THE OIL right before the inspection.

Some good "hot runs" to blow the carbon out the
exhaust, and keep that puppy nice and warm for
testing.

I take it CHICAGO metro area is doing the smog
testing. Makes sense after the request for an
anti-backfire valve.

In California, if you go in running really rich...
bad news, you get tagged as a gross polluter with
all sorts of additional work. If you go in, ask
if the emissions can be CHECKED prior to the actual
test.

Let us know how it goes.

Cheers,

Tom

P.S. When I was in California, years back, we had
a large group of folks who raced Rx-2's & Rx-3's.
Our solution to "inspection time" was a spare engine,
fully rebuilt with all smog equipment. Yes, we would
pull out the peripheral or bridge ported engine, drop
in the stock motor... run up and have it inspected & tested
& come home and put the race motor back in. Biggest problem
was to remember to drain the gas tank as we mixed in oil
with out gas for those race engines.