RE: Erratic wipers

To: "barkert" <barkert@centinela.k12.ca.us>
Subject: RE: Erratic wipers
From: "Brian Hollands" <bholland@hayes.ds.adp.com>
Date: Sun, 9 Sep 2001 13:48:17 -0400
It's been a while since I've had a wiper motor apart but they all have a cap
with a circular conductor inside.  That conductor has power when the
ignition is on even if the wiper switch is off.  This allows the wiper motor
to continue running to it's parked position after the switch is turned off.
Normally there is a spot on the conductor that is split so that when the
wiper motor contact get to that spot the circuit opens and the motor stops.
That is the parked wiper position.  You can, on some motors, adjust the
parked position by rotating the cap on the motor.  Sounds like something is
bridging the gap on that circular conductor some how and not allowing the
circuit to open.
Electricity is weird (to my mind anyway) so it could be something else but I
might start there.
Hope that helps,
Brian '69 2000
Tampa, FL