Re: Anti Back Fire Valve

To: Deena Petrie <dpetrie@megsinet.net>
Subject: Re: Anti Back Fire Valve
From: Thomas Walter <twalter@austin.rr.com>
Date: Fri, 07 Sep 2001 20:07:47 -0500
Deena,

Not too common to see those under the hood of a roadster anymore.

If you have a completely stock air injection system, something
to check is the air injection pump itself. OEM had little carbon
vanes in them.  With age (typically only 10,000 miles) the carbon
pieces would flake off and get into the air hose.

Once in the air hose, the "anti-backfire valve" would open when
the throttle was lifted, and that little carbon piece would slide
right into the valve. The valve is now left open. Not good as the
air leaking past the antibackfire valve would then lean out the
mixture, causing the car to overheat.

Alas, once overheated you'd hear of someone replacing the cylinder
head (as everyone knows those "aluminum cylinder heads were not worth
beans"). Irony is I know of one car... rebuilt engine, anti-backfire
valve replaced, and viola... a bad air pump caused the whole thing
to repeat once again. Ahem, some of those parts are still sitting in
my shed. ;-)

Check out that antibackfire valve once again. Apply vacuum to it, and
make sure the vavle can open and close.

Alas, I love clean air... but a well tuned up roadster, with the
earlier SU needles, can run pretty clean without the air injection
set up.

Cheers,

Tom