RE: Need new tires - what can I use?

To: "Datsun-Roadsters \(E-mail\)" <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Need new tires - what can I use?
From: "Gordon Glasgow" <gsglasgow@home.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2001 09:27:08 -0700
What's the point of having tires if they don't make any traction? Everything we
do to our cars in the way of suspension is just for the purpose of managing
those four little contact patches where the tire meets the road. Actually, even
the engine mods are useless if we can't get the power to the ground.

I admit I'm biased towards performance, but I've always believed that trading
away traction for a few more miles of tire life is a dangerous false economy.
When you can't avoid an accident because you don't have adequate traction, will
you think "Well, I may have had an accident, but I'm sure glad I got the extra
mileage out of these tires."

Do the math:

Four Yokohama AVS Intermediates, 195/60-14 at $65 ea = $260
40,000 miles = approx 3 years of driving
Approx $0.24 per day

Four "Brand X" specials @ $35 ea = $140
60,000 miles = approx 4 years of driving
Approx $0.09 per day

Is your car (and your life) worth the extra $0.15 per day? Mine is.

Gordon Glasgow
Renton, WA