Re: Re-Curving the distributor (Long)

To: Roadster List <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Re-Curving the distributor (Long)
From: Ronnie Day <ronday@home.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2001 12:44:55 -0500
>Brian Hollands

(snip)

> There is more info on dist. swaps at
> http://home.att.net/~jason510/Dizzy_FAQ.htm
> This is L-series info but it applies to the roadsters as well.  It just
> might not be cook book simple in an R or U series engine.
> Brian

>>Robert Long

>> What does it mean/do, when you say you re-curved the distributer?

To add just a bit to Brian's excellent explanation, the reason that we refer
to the advance curve is that's it's usually plotted graphically on an X/Y
chart with engine RPM along the bottom axis versus spark advance along the
vertical axis.

When you change the amount of advance at a given RPM by changing the weights
and/or the springs that control them, you are changing the shape of the plot
or "recurving" the distributor. Sun used to make a dedicated machine that
tested distributors out of the vehicle. Wish I had one.

FWIW,
Ron

The ACL Group
Arlington, Texas