Redline tranny oil blues! & PVGP weekend approaches.

To: <Datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Redline tranny oil blues! & PVGP weekend approaches.
From: "Paul" <9laser3@bright.net>
Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2001 19:07:18 -0400
  Okay, so in my case the redline is down my driveway where an expensive
quart of oil has leaked out of my 1600's transmission via the front seal.  I
decided it was time to change the tranny oil and I figured RedLine was good
stuff so I paid the extra few bucks and dumped 2 quarts (okay, not quite 2
quarts) in my gear box.  A quick 30 mile test run resulted in the above
mentioned red line in my drive.  it was suggested that I just need to get
some miles on the car and the front deal hopefully will soak up some oil,
swell and quit leaking.  Another 20 or 30 miles tonight and I lost maybe 1/4
to 1/2 a cup of oil when I shut the car down.  Not sure if the seal is
sealing a bit better or if I'm just running out of oil to leak.
  Any one else suffer through this?  Any idea how long I need to keep the
brownie pan under the tranny?  Or should I swap back to old fashion 90 wt
gear oil?
   Next weekend I hope to rack up some big miles again while heading over to
the Pittsburgh Vintage Grand Prix.  The MidOhio Vintage GP is a great OROC
event (and a great way to get 500 mile break in on the new valves!), but the
PVGP is a totally different event.  Almost all the cars are pre-WWII!  The
race course is a wonderful combination of winding hilly tree lined park
roads and a full blast run down a boulevard in downtown Pittsburgh.  And the
whole week long event is done for charity. http://www.pvgpa.org/

Paul
OROC