Charging problems revisited

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Charging problems revisited
From: Adam Bradley <ambradley@yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 8 Jul 2001 08:01:14 -0700 (PDT)
I don't know what's going on with my electrical system.  The drive to
Shasta was great and problem-free.  About two hours later I drove from
the Roadster to the All Datsun event and on the way the car started
missing badly.  I pulled over and the battery was leaking acid like it
was overcharging.  After waiting a few minutes I drove to the event and
didn't have any more symptoms.

On the way home it started getting lower and lower.  I actually made it
all the way to Woodland (over 200 miles from Shasta) before the battery
got so low that it was missing again.  By Sacramento my fuel and temp
gauges didn't register and I couldn't accelerate at all.  I got off the
freeway at my offramp and made three or four lights in a row, missing
horribly the whole way.  I hit a red light and that was all she wrote.

I charged the battery from my other car (I was only about 1/2 mile from
home - amazing) for about five minutes then my car started right up!
Drove home and it sits there still.

So... either my new alternator bit the dust or my battery won't hold
its charge, or maybe my ground is bad which is stopping the battery
from charging - I dunno.  Any thoughts?

=====
Adam
'70 1600 SPL311-28181