O.T. BADROC run and SF history

To: <PLETCH5@aol.com>, <DemonTSi@aol.com>, <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: O.T. BADROC run and SF history
From: "roadster" <roadster@rcn.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2000 22:05:05 -0800
Ken,

That's an excellent spot for us to meet up. To those history buffs visiting
the San Francisco peninsula: It's an historical marker. A discovery there by
Europeans set off a whole chain of events.

The stoned guy (the statue) is Father Junipero Serra. It's close to the spot
where a Spanish expedition led by Gaspar de Portola, trekking north from
Mexico into upper California, first sighted San Francisco Bay in mid-1776.
The Spanish were pushing north to counter the threat of Russians coming
south from Alaska. They set up camp in San Francisco on July 4th, 1776. I
believe some other historical event on the other coast of the US
overshadowed this event. The Russians had a near-conflict with the Spanish
in 1806 on SF Bay, settled when the Russian officer married the teen-age
daughter of the Spanish commander.  The Spanish agreed to limit the Russians
to a settlement just north of San Francisco (Fort Ross, short for Rossiya).
Later on, the Russians pulled out and sold off most of the fort to a fellow
named John Sutter. Sutter transported most of it to the Sacramento Valley,
and then discovered the Gold Rush. Well, you know the rest...

Fred - So.SF (native San Franciscan)