Re: Spray Paint Question

To: "Victor Laury" <vlaury@earthlink.net>,
Subject: Re: Spray Paint Question
From: Ronnie Day <ronday@home.com>
Date: Sat, 18 Nov 2000 16:40:55 -0600
>About a year ago, I bought the services of a paint matcher, who made me a
>pint of touch up paint for my 665 yellow car. After much touching up, I
>still have close to a full pint left.
>
>Today, while shopping at Trader Joe's (for those not familiar, a shopping
>emporium that leads to sin. I seem to buy champagne and chocolate when ever
>I enter) I bought an aerosol pump sprayer. It looks like any aerosol can,
>but you fill it with whatever and pump it up with the pump-cap.  I was
>wondering if this would work with my touch up paint. Any thoughts?

No first hand knowledge, but educated guess would be that you'd need to
mix it with reducer or whatever just as you'd mix it if you were using a
traditional spray setup, and in amounts limited to what you were going to
use at a time. I'd try mixing the color with a little less than the
normal amount of reducer, do a test on an extra piece of sheet metal and
then sort of sneak up on the best color/reducer mixture for this sprayer.
I've been curious about those myself for very small jobs. Please let us
know how it works.

I wish I'd known even as little about painting, air tools and compressors
as I do now a couple of years ago. I would have spent the extra couple of
hundred to get a higher volume unit with a much larger tank even though
it would have meant figuring out how to feed it 230 volts. Oh well...

FWIW, Ron

Ronnie Day
ronday@home.com
Dallas/Ft. Worth
'71 510 2-dr (Prepared Class Autocrosser)
'73 510 2-dr (Street Toy)