fiberglass fenders

To: 311 <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: fiberglass fenders
From: Dennis Currington <dc311@mail.com>
Date: Thu, 02 Nov 2000 23:25:41 -0800
"Hall, Phillip" wrote:

> Hey list -
>
> I see the fiberglass fender thread has died.  I know at least half of
us has
> rusty fenders and can't believe there is not a demand for street
fiberglass
> replacements.  I wonder if we did a poll to find out how many would be

> interested in fenders and sent it to the manufacture, they would make
up
> some (if the poll showed positive response).  Make them for the high
> windshield then easily adaptable to early Roadster.
>
> OK - I will do it!   How many Roadsterites would be interested in
street
> fiberglass front fenders???  Respond off-list (or on if you like)  and
> will send the results to the manufactures and see if what they say
then let
> you all know.
>
> I would take two - one right one left.
>
> Phil
> SEROC

Les and I have been talking about this for sometime and are ready to
take that
next step.  We are currently making (having made) fenders, hoods,
trunks, flares
etc for the 510 and sales have been good.

All we would have to do is take two good (may need some help here) front
fenders
to our manufacturer and get the molds made. These could be stock
fenders, not
race fiberglass.  It is not a difficult process, just costly.

Which brings me to my next question. How many of you are interested and
then
would you be willing to put up a 50% deposit in order to get things
rolling?
Our 510 front fenders sell for $185 each, but that mold already existed
before
we became the exclusive distributor. I would anticipate a projected
price of
$225 each, realizing that I have not discussed it with our
manufacturer.  These
would be hand laid fiberglass, not chopper gun.  Very good quality, as
the
purchasers of 510 glass can attest.

I am not trying to under-cut Phil's offer to research this, just saying
that we
are set up to get it done and have been contemplating it for a while.
Now that
Nissan parts are going away, we will be diversifying even more to keep
in
business.........how about a complete carbon-fiber Roadster? (just
kidding).

As many of you know, we are having the factory hardtop copied right now
and
expect to have it available in the next few months.  Maybe even a Lexan
rear
glass??

BTW, in response to Chris' question as to CDM's visibility in Japan.
Suprisingly, we do a decent business in Japan.  Just last week I sent
one of our
$135 air dams to Japan via UPS at a shipping cost of $165. Now that's
what I
call really wanting a product!  Recent articles in Japanese magazines
have been
helpful. It seems our shop is on the "must see" list for Japanese Datsun
nuts
when visiting the U.S.  Last month we had a group of 10 show up wanting
the
$0.50 tour, fortunately for me, one of them spoke English.

Dennis
CDM
(this will teach Les to leave me in charge while he is out
globe-trotting :-)

--
Dennis Currington
1967.5 Solex 2000