Re: Solex's vs. SU's ..again and again and again...

To: "road" <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Solex's vs. SU's ..again and again and again...
From: Ronnie Day <ronday@home.com>
Date: Sat, 23 Sep 2000 11:35:03 -0500
>Yes, the whole system needs to be balanced and tuned to a whole.
>No point in having a radical camshaft profile with stock carbs and
>exhaust system.

Watching the end of this morning's practice at Indy, I remember one of
the segment of the NASCAR Garage series in which they were talking to one
of the engine builders about the fact that the heads that flow the most
don't always make the most power. I remember a similar statement by John
Liegenfelter in his book on modifying small block Chevies.

Edelbrock now offers a "Total Performance Package" that includes heads,
cam, intake & carb, and maybe headers, although I'm not certain. Takes a
lot of the guesswork out of building. Computer modeling and CNC machining
have made the results of upgrades more predictable and consistent,
although a lot of folks still insist on (trying to/insisting they can)
build a 200 HP (insert you own number) 2 liter motor for under $1000.<G>
Yeah, right!

FWIW,
Ron

Ronnie Day
ronday@home.com
Dallas/Ft. Worth
'71 510 2-dr (Prepared Class Autocrosser)
'73 510 2-dr (Street Toy)