Soft Top Bow

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Soft Top Bow
From: jon_wissler@pngc.com
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2000 08:38:17 -0700
        I'm such a dumb ass.  After struggling with the soft top for half
an hour after work last night, I went home (driving with my hand on the
center clamp to hold it down), and put area lights near the top to heat it
up a bit for another try in the morning.  Another half hour of frustrating
attempts to get the center clamp to "sit down" and I was cussing up a blue
streak.  Just when I thought I had finally found the method to get the
damn thing on fairly easily too.  My ideal solution?  Do my best Bobby
Knight impersonation and use a f&*%$*g hammer of course !  The center
settled, but I think I have finally discovered "the bow", which now
appears bent all to hell, and now the side clasps won't stay latched. Have
I completely screwed myself, or is there a way or a vendor that can rescue
me from my idiocy?  What I really need is a new top, but I don't have the
funds at this time.  Would any reputable upholstery shop be able to repair
the bow, or have I possibly fried it beyond repair.  What the hell is it
made of anyway.  It feels like metal under the top fabric.  Has anybody
tried to fabricate one out of plastic?