Re: electrical system questions

To: road <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: electrical system questions
From: "Thomas Walter" <ra0618@email.sps.mot.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2000 10:28:41 -0500
Roman,

The '63 vehicles were positive ground (i.e. the single
carb'd 1500 engine).

I think SOME '64 vehicles were still positive ground. They
had a generators fitted to them.

Later cars (i.e. some late '64) and '65 on have alternators
fitted. Those are all negative ground.

I know ALL alternator fitted vehicles were negative ground.
What I am not sure of if Datsun had any negative grounded
vehicles fitted with generators. Perhaps someone who knows
the early years better can supply that tidbit.

Oh, on a generator you are instructed to "flash" the windings
when installing them. In reality just bolt them in place, and
have the battery charged up before starting the car. The
generators will "self magnetize" to supply the correct polarity.
This is one reason why you will see lots of older.

The '63 Bluebird I had sold early this year had a later model
alternator fitted. Never had it running to see if the water
temp and fuel gauge's worked correctly. That is the only typical
problem when changing polarity of the system. Of course the wires
to the ignition coil need to be swapped if you find the center
electrode of the plugs has no wear, but the "J" grounding electrode
has worn down.

Cheers,

Tom Walter
Austin, TX