Re: Towing a car for the first time

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Towing a car for the first time
From: andycost@att.net
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2000 16:38:35 +0000
I tow a roadster to the autocrosses all the time on a
trailer.  Be careful as you load it because the front
may drag the ramps or hit the rear lip of the trailer.
Do not under any circumstances tie down to the front
sway-bar.  I have seen several roadsters with bent
locating arms, in face my car had one missing and the
other pointed straight forward when I got it.  I always
loop a long chain through both rear leaf springs and
attach the ends to the rear of the trailer.  I then use
a big ratcheting nylon strap ($25 at Wal-Mart) like the
18 wheelers use to attach the lower A-arm to the front
of the trailer.  I sinch it down until the chain in the
back is good and tight(with the brake off out of gear).
Then I set the brake and engage first gear.  I loop
another long chain through both lower A-arms in front
and attach both ends to the front of the trailer.  This
last step is a little added insurance in case the strap
breaks.(it never has)  This system has worked well.  My
dad had to make a flying(70mph) swerve in his suburban
(not on Firestones)one time.  The truck and trailer
skidded both ways as he did a very impressive s-manuever
across three lanes between stopped cars.  All the people
applauded once he got it stopped.  The car did not move
an inch on the trailer.  Definately this tried and true
method of towing worked.  Or possibly it was the BFG
R1's holding the car on the trailer so tight.
Andy