Re: [Fwd: Ford Explorer Tires (Non Roadster question)] boundary="------

To: road <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Fwd: Ford Explorer Tires (Non Roadster question)] boundary="------------...
From: "Thomas Walter" <ra0618@email.sps.mot.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2000 09:23:35 -0500
On the air pressure vs. tire:

I'd run the higher air pressure.  This will reduce the heat build up
in the tires, and IMPROVE the handling.  The RIDE does suffer
as you will feel more bumps, and the like.

Personally, I'd spend the $400 on new tires. Toss the Firestones,
and install anything else. My heart goes out to the families who have
lost someone due to an accident. [Local family was on vacation...
sadly their 8 year daughter was killed in the roll over.]

Also commonly overlooked is that at time (mud, sand, etc) conditions
you are better reducing air pressure. Sad part was a couple of hikers
who had gotten their rental car stuck in deep sand, and died when
they decided to hike out.  To "free" the stuck vehicle was to simply
let the air out of the tires, down to 10 psi, and DRIVE the vehicle out
of the sand.

Tom Walter
'68 2000 --> darn hard to spot in Austin Traffic
'84 Land Cruiser FJ60 --> easiest to spot the RED beast in traffic
'99 Maxima SE --> quick and fun, probably the safest vehicle I own