[Fwd: Ford Explorer Tires (Non Roadster question)]

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: [Fwd: Ford Explorer Tires (Non Roadster question)]
From: Pamela Pepoy <gppepoy@cybertrails.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2000 23:19:45 -0700
--------------42B278C8638BE7302B0EB185

Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2000 23:10:54 -0700
From: Pamela Pepoy <gppepoy@cybertrails.com>
To: Datsun Roadsters <datsun-roadsters@autoxteam.net>
Subject: Ford Explorer Tires (Non Roadster question)

Greetings,
Last July I purchased a new Ford Explorer. You may be thinking why would
a Roaster nut buy a Ford land whale?  Get this, primarily for safety
reasons.  Not too long ago I had a lady run a red light and I t-boned
her Civic at about 40 mph.  Nasty business.  We have more red light
runners in the Phoenix area than any other place in the country.  So,
smart me I think it's BIG but not tooo big and if I hit somebody or if
somebody hits me, the family and associated pets will be a little
safer.  HA!  Little did I know that the sucker is as stable as a beach
ball.  Now, we have the tire fiasco.  The tires I have on my Explorer
have not been recalled yet (they are the Wilderness AT's).  However,
Ford says to only inflate them to 30 psi (soft to avoid the Explorer's
inclination to tip over and roll).  Firestone says to inflate them to 35
psi to stop them from heating up and peeling off like a bannana skin and
also causing the Explorer to roll.  So,  my NEW, SAFE family vehicle is
an unsafe, certified turkey.

My question to the list is.  What do you suggest?   Selling the sucker
isn't very appealing but has been considered.   I do drive slower and I
am inclined to replace the like new and possibly flawed stock tires and
replace them with a low profile high quality (Michelin).  What will a
low profile tire do to the already sloppy handling? As Stan once said to
Oliver..."this is a fine mess you have gotten me into."  Thanks in
advance.  Oh, my explorer is a 2 wheel drive vehicle and is not used for
off road travel.  I am sorry for the non-roadster stuff but I, along
with alot of other people, am stuck.
Guy
67.5 SPL311
Tempe, AZ