Re: Trouble ahead

To: solex67@hotmail.com, datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Trouble ahead
From: CalSpeed@aol.com
Date: Sun, 27 Aug 2000 20:40:25 EDT
In a message dated 8/27/00 3:55:27 PM EST, solex67@hotmail.com writes:

<< Anyhow, I have a request of the list. I have posted Some pics of the trunk
 and if anyone has the time or interest, I would like your opinion on it.  >>

Wow.... Andrew.  That doesn't look too good.  Although it is difficult to
tell with those extreme close-ups I am assuming that there is quite abit of
rust underneath the rest of the black paint.  You are only seeing what the
paint can no longer cover up.

About a frame off...  Well, you do have a special car.  Enough said about
that.  It really depands what you want to do.  I am sure that you can strip
out the trunk and probably repair it that way with some fancy welding from a
donor car.  But another thing to consider is the other areas of the car that
are susceptable to major rust.  If the trunk looks like that you may want to
pull the seats and check the floors.  Also check underneath the clutch, brake
and accel pedals.  Also.... where the wall of the package shelf meets the
base of the package shelf.

Those were areas that I  noticed having more rust than others when I painted
my interior metal.  As you know, I did not do a frame off on my 67.5 2000.
Although it is a perfect candidate for it as there was no rusting through on
the car at all.  I just didn't want to go through the process.  So, it again
all depends on what you want now and what you want for the future of the car.
 The way I see it, you dont need to do a frame off to make the car last
another 30 years.  But thats another story.

Michael "Calspeed" Carion
http://members.aol.com/calspeed1/motorsports.html
San Francisco, Ca