All Datsun Palomar Run

To: Datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: All Datsun Palomar Run
From: "Andrew Murphy" <solex67@hotmail.com>
Date: Sun, 20 Aug 2000 20:57:36 PDT
Hello all,

Wow. That is the only word that comes to mind when I think about the All
Datsun Palomar run held today, August 20th 2000. I had originally intended
to just invite some other people to come with the SoCalROC club on our run
up Palomar, but the turnout was nothing short of spectacular.

We had 23 cars show up including roadsters, 510s, and a whole lot of Z cars
from the Z club of San Diego. All in all just a great group of cars. Les
Cannaday told me later that he purposely brought up the rear going up
Palomar mountain so he could watch the parade of Datsuns and Nissans head up
the mountain in a line. Truly a site to behold. We had a Great Time and here
is how it went.

The Meet at CDM

We met at CDM at 11:00 am and took the time to check out each other's cars.
The Z club of San Diego did some formation flying up from San Diego and made
a very big entrance of their own. Every Z type from 240 to 300ZX was in
attendance. Some truly trick cars and very proud owners. I got along great
with the Z club. A class act.

Also showing up were some fine 510s including a full race prepared BRE with
a FJ-20 motor. Pete Brock's son also was there in a REALLY fast 510.

The roadster group was also well represented with the usual SoCalROC crowd
and also some new faces as well. In no particular order, here is who I can
recall showing up. If I miss anyone please let me know.

Andrew Murphy          67 2000 Solex
Elizabeth Vipond       70 2000
Victor Laury           70 2000
Craig Carter           70 2000
Fergus O'Farrel        69 2000
Joe Roach              65 1500
Roman Rist             66 1600
Mo Soriano             68 1600
Phil Erickson          69 2000 Solex
Stan Chernoff          67.5 1600 Stroker
Chris Casey            65 1600
Gary Cohen             68 2000 Solex

Pala Run

We took off and headed inland to the Pala mission for our first stop and
photo op. We ran a twisty road to Interstate 15 and when we got onto the
freeway, I got my first look at roadsters, Zs and 510s playing a little
freeway tag. Folks, if you have never done it, I can tell you I have never
had so much fun in my life. The BRE 510 and some of the turbo Z cars were
just rocking down the road.

Upon arrival at the Pala mission, we stopped and lined the cars up in
formation for a photo opportunity. We got all of them together and got some
GREAT photos worthy of the Nissan Dream campaign. All of the cars with the
mission in the background were quite a site.

Palomar mountain Run

Time to test your nerves and driving ability! With so many sports cars going
up a VERY twisty and fun road, it was friendly competition at its best
running up to Palomar. For those of you coming to Doheny, save an extra day
and do this run. I PROMISE you will have the best time. Cutbacks, elevation
changes and beautiful scenery all the way up. Well, my girlfriend got to
enjoy the scenery, my eyes were glued to the rear tail lights of the BRE 510
in front of me hugging corners like I could not believe. It took EVERY bit
of skill I had to hang with these guys and my arms are TIRED from having to
hold the steering wheel in the tight corners. 2nd and 3rd gears were the
rule up to the top.

Palomar Lodge

We stopped at the top at the Palomar Lodge to relax and get something to
eat. The Palomar lodge is an old A frame lodge complete with deer antler
chandeliers. The food was simple the company great and we talked about the
run and each other's cars and how much fun it was to run with other Datsun
enthusiasts.

The run back down the mountain

Very fast and hard on the brakes but totally fun. I will confess that I spun
out my car on a patch of loose gravel and tested my skills in recovering
from the skid. I did well, but checked my shorts before continuing on my
way.

All in all an incredible day. I cannot remember having so much fun with so
many people doing what we love: driving Datsun sports cars. This will not be
the last multi-club run I can promise you that. We found in each other a
camraderie that can only be shared by people who love their cars and enjoy
driving with each other.

Pics to be posted very soon and I am sure I was not the only one taking
pictures so please post them folks!

Andrew Murphy
SoCalROC