Spare engine/header/ WA insurance

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Spare engine/header/ WA insurance
From: "Taro Kusunose" <tkusunose@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2000 19:24:46 PDT
Getting ready for my weekend tinkering....

1) I opened up my new 1600 last weekend and the head gasket was blown.
Plus, there might be a problem with the head (and I don't have the $ right
now to get it magna fluxed, etc.).  I do have a spare engine however.  The
spare and my current engine are both metric.  When I got the car and the
engine, I was told that the spare was "rebuilt" and "fixed up."  I can tell
the intake manifold has really been cleaned up... super smooth inside, but I
didn't ask what really was done to the engine.  Here come's the question:
I'm thinking about cannibalizing my "fixed up" spare for parts (gasket and
head, for now).  Is this a waste of a good spare?  Is there any benefit to
keeping the head and block of a perfectly good engine together?

2) Do I really have to take the starter out in order to get the header
unbolted from the exhaust(tail) pipe?  I can't get to the bolts because the
starter is there, and I can't get to the lower bolt holding the starter
because the header is there.  Argh!  I started pulling my hair out about 11
pm on Sunday evening.  The header pipe next to the starter is 90% pinched
off(!!), so I want to yank it and fix it.

3)  For any of you Washingtonians out there....  Any good (cheap) insurance
companies for my 67 1600?  Turns out that 21th Century (which insures me and
the wife's daily drivers) does not insure cars that old.  We both have good
driving records.

Taro
Bellevue, WA