Re: Tires and Wheels

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Tires and Wheels
From: andycost@att.net
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2000 13:31:24 +0000
For style only I have no problems with 17" wheels and
tires.  From a performance standpoint a 14" wheel and
tire combo is all you can use.  The tires make all the
difference.  If you are going to mount slicks you may
see a slight improvement with 15" wheels, but the amount
of rubber on the road is the important thing.  The
contact patch does not change significantly between a
195/60/14, 195/50/15, or 195/40/16.  However, the
angular momentum does change as more of the area is
metal instead of rubber.  Sport Compact Car (or GRM, I
can't remember) magazine had a good article a couple of
months ago where they fitted plus size wheel/tire
packages and found the bigger wheels to negatively
effect handling and acceleration.  The unsprung weight
and increased angular momentum from big wheels offsets
any gains in contact patch and sidewall stiffness.  Have
fun, and post some pictures when you're done.  One thing
you may have problems with is finding 17" wheels.  The
funky offset eliminates most aftermarket wheels.
Andy