Re: <.OT> Z car tutorial

To: Robert.Long@CSDInc.com
Subject: Re: <.OT> Z car tutorial
From: WayneLoom@aol.com
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2000 21:51:21 EDT
Robert

I have been into Z's about as long as I have been into roasdsters.

<< Specific questions:
 Are there certain model years to look for (like our 67.5 2000's)
 Are there certain model years to avoid (no Roadster comparison here)

YES.  70 - 72 240Zs are the collector years.  1973 offered a 240Z as well but
they changed the carb that year to comply with new emission laws and it
created a lot of problems.

1974 they brought out the 260Z with 0.200L more displacement to try and
compensate for the power loss of the 1973.  This car was just as problematic.

1975 they brought out the 280Z with 0.200L more displacement for the same
reason but this time they did it right and installed FI.  1975 to 1978 280 Zs
are all excellent cars with 1978 having the edge.

The emphasis from 1974 on was in creature comforts and now performance.

 Where are the rust areas

Area to watch are in the fender behind the front wheels, the dogleg behind
the doors, the rocker panels, the ledge under the hatch where the hatch
latches, the vent cowling beneath the windshield.  If the car has been
sitting check the floorboards and spare tire well.  leaks form around the
widshield rubber and read deck lid glass with rust forming in the channel
where the rubber mounts.

 What other things should I look for, both good & bad

Thee are a lot of swaps out there and they are mostly good.  I run an L28
(280Z engine) in my 72 240Z with a later 5 speed and an R180 3.55:1 rear end.
 It scats.  Bigger rear ends are out there under the R200 designation.  They
were mostly for the turbo models but they fit.  Question whether you need the
extra weight. Original interior in the early cars will be rare and are not
missed.

I'll be glad to answer more specific Qs later

"Sam" (Wayne) Loomis
SRL311 #11995
& "The Dime"
SoCalROC member