RE: Stroked R-16

To: "'Patrick J. Horne'" <horne@cs.utexas.edu>
Subject: RE: Stroked R-16
From: "Hall, Phillip" <Phillip.Hall@msfc.nasa.gov>
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2000 11:17:06 -0500
Mike, Pat, all

I will also build a R20 this winter for my '66.  From the smart ones on this
list I have gathered the following.  Please, please correct if wrong.

Use the flat top u20 pistons for street.  Compression ratio should be about
9.5/1 with new head

Use R16 intake with larger U20 SU's and port/taper the spacer for the larger
carbs.

Use a good R16 header

The U20 crank will have to have a key way machined in, which I heard can be
expensive.  I have not checked on this yet.  Or, use a H20 forklift crank -
or the whole short block with U20 pistons

HP should be about 125 to 135.

To me this should be a simple change - like always - if it looks too simple,
it will bite you later.   I you guys can recall I plan on turbocharging my
motor so I will do other mods.  OK smart ones on the list that has done this
- your turn.

Happy Roadstering
Phil
SEROC