Mystery switches

To: Roadster List <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Mystery switches
From: "Robert Porter" <drrebob@usnetway.com>
Date: Sat, 08 Jul 2000 18:59:22 -0400
Why do these little cars have so many ways to dump oil on us?  Having
identified a bad back up light switch on my 70 1600, I wisely drained the
tranny and waited for the last drop before pushing the pan aside and
removing the defective part.  Surprise!  Another 1/2 cup galumphed straight
down, hitting my face, while I scrabbled around to find the drain pan, which
was out of reach, naturally.  Another tell tale oil spot on the garage
floor, another humbling lesson for the Roadster newbie.

I'm still wondering about the second switch on the tranny, located just
above the back up switch.  What does it do?  And does it have anything to do
with another "mystery switch," the one located on the clutch pedal, which is
activated just like the brake light switch?  No listing in the parts manual.
What gives?

Having a non-Shasta weekend in Harrisburg PA,

Bob Porter