Re: Calling Ready Kilowatt

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net, "Jim Plegue" <jandr95@home.com>
Subject: Re: Calling Ready Kilowatt
From: Fred_Katz@ci.sf.ca.us
Date: Fri, 26 May 2000 16:00:37 -0700
Hi Jim,

Simple principle - form a circuit with the device and the battery. Negative
is the ground, for most roadsters (includes yours) that means the chassis.
The positive lead wire must be capable of handling the load that the device
puts on the battery, so you should have a fuse that will blow before the
lead wire fails (and potentially causes a fire).

The map light by itself draws hardly any juice, so you have somehow shorted a
positive lead against the ground. I believe the map light is grounded by the
simple act of mounting it to the console box. There are 6 screws that mount the
console to the trans-tunnel, and they should provide a ground-path. Make sure
that the seat for the screws has a metal surface to contact the screws.

It sounds to me like you shorted out the bottom of the cigarette lighter against
the trans tunnel. You need to insulate that bottom (it is a positive lead)
against contacting any ground surface. Is the replacement cigarette lighter too
long to fit within the hole in the trans-tunnel? Buy a short power receptacle.
And it's also best to disconnect the battery when doing electrical work. I
learned that lesson as a teenager when a hot lead under the dash burned part-way
through my finger and I ended up at the emergency ward. Oh, it was my car.

Fred - So.SF