Re: Non-Solex question-Dellorto Carbs

To: spl310@hotmail.com, datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Non-Solex question-Dellorto Carbs
From: SPL311RDST@aol.com
Date: Sun, 21 May 2000 12:51:32 EDT
In a message dated 5/20/00 1:59:13 PM US Mountain Standard Time,
spl310@hotmail.com writes:

> Howdy all,
>
>  Has anyone got any experience with Dellorto carbs?  How are they?
>  Thanks,
>
>  Sid

I don't personally, but Mark has them on the Cortina - here I'll pass the
keyboard to him........
Laurie :-)

  I've got a pair of DHLA40's on mine. I have limited experience with Solexs,
but I can compare them to Webers if you like. - They have the same exterior
dimensions and mounting holes as a DCOE.
  The Dell's have a very nice internal venturi system that provide better
slow speed than Webers. The throttle shafts are mounted in ballbearings so
wobble wear and leakage is minimized. They also have a conventional Solex
type diaphragm accelerator pump instead of the plunger system on the Weber.
  All of the jets are accessable from a hatch on the top and there are a LOT
of variations to allow for tuning.
  Once set up they seem to hold their tune better than Webers as well.
  Dells flow a little more air in the same size as Webers too.
  One major point in favor of Dellortoes over Webers : The price. DHLA40's
run around $250-275 and DCOE40's can be upwards of $375.

  The only weak spot I've noticed is that parts availability for Dell's
doesn't compare as favorably to Webers. EVERYone has Weber parts but there
are a smaller number of people with Dell jets and such.  Dave Bean
Engineering in San Andreas  CA caries a good selection, and Dells are teh
carb of choise for hotrod Harley's (But be prepared to pay the HD 'mystique'
premium)

Mark