Re: turn signal woes

To: <Beamonk@aol.com>, "Roadster List" <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: turn signal woes
From: Ronnie Day <ronday@home.com>
Date: Thu, 18 May 2000 19:04:49 -0500
>I have cleaned the contacts and repaired? the cracked contact plate, but no
>turn signals. The horn works, emergency flasher works with current through
>both flashers, and current is through the switch when the emer. flashers are
>on. My question is should there be a hot line to the turn signal's four
>posts(the car is a 68), when the key is on? There are  four wires in the
>connection  block under the dash  and one is hot runs the horn. There is a
>fifth single wire that has nothing going through it. Does it get power
>through the horn wire? I hate electrical problens! Thanks

I'd suggest getting your hands on a wiring diagram (if you don't already
have one) so you can trace the wiring and make sure of power from the
battery to the switch, and maybe beyond that point, too. Turn signals are
almost always switched through the ignition either directly or by a
relay. It's also common practice on Japanese cars to switch the ground
side of a circuit rather than the power side. I've come across circuits
where both the power supply wire and the ground wire in a circuit are
fused. Unusual, but maybe worth a look.

In any case trying to sort this out without a diagram is going to a  real
chore.

FWIW,
Ron

Ronnie Day
Dallas/Ft. Worth
'71 510 2-dr (Prepared Class Autocrosser)
'73 510 2-dr (Street Toy)