Re: Turbo (not Flame) War

To: Mike Kerr <mikekerr@innercite.com>
Subject: Re: Turbo (not Flame) War
From: Jim Tyler <toplessdatsun@ga.prestige.net>
Date: Sun, 14 May 2000 19:57:47 -0400

Mike Kerr wrote:

> Accually all that stuff was made so it can pass the emition laws

Well clearly we are both right about this one,  all the gizmos allow oems to
meet emissions AND allow unprecedented power levels with reliability.
For all their electronics and complexity the VTECS,SR20DET etc are
truly amazing engines.     Contrast those with the sad mechanical
turbo systems of 20 years ago.

> turbos are made reliable by keeping the boost relativley  low around 7.5 lbs
> boost.

True, AND/ OR by using modern materials, electronics and techniques.
Which is all that I  suggested.

Mike is right, it can be done without efi and electronics, that is how it was
done in the 70's/80's.   There were also PLENTY of 510 and Z motors blown
to bits with add on system and optimistic guesstimates of durability.

I just wouldn't suggest you put your nice running U20 at risk with a half
baked turbo kabob.

> Any high performace motor can be killed by a idiot.... don't matter what you
> try and do to prevent it ..

correct, but some engines will take alot more abuse than others.  Victor showed
us
how much the U20 pistons will take.    My contention is simply that an engine
carefully built to withstand the extra abuse of the turbo
is far more likely to survive than one that isn't.

> So the time you are on boost is very
> limited.. you are never on full boost for more at ten seconds,
> going to fast ...  Now if you take My motor and put it in a 10,000lb. RV and
> try to use all that HP, the first hill you come to you will waste the motor.

Being able to make power for ten seconds is not what I consider a reliable
implementation.

> > "Do I feel lucky, kid?"
> >
> >Well, do ya?

Jim