Re: Pertronics

To: Roadster List <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Pertronics
From: "James W. Anable, Jr." <anable@halcyon.com>
Date: Thu, 11 May 2000 13:48:55 -0700
Bahnseye@aol.com wrote:

> I disagree.  Was exactly as prescribed.  I know several racers who had almost
> immediate failures with them -- not only on Datsuns.
> JH

Hmm, the Pertronix discusssion is kind of interesting to me.

For a while, I've been trying to troubleshoot a  problem in my comp 240Z.  At
one
point, I though it might be ignition related.  I switched to Pertronics at the
suggestion of 510 racers.  It wasn't the underlying problem, but it seems to
work
fine.  I also use MSD coil and 6A with limiter (older type, two units).  (I
would
have just dropped in a 280Z distributor, but I have a european distributor that
was further recurved for triple webers with no vacuum advance).

It's not summer yet in Seattle, but I was planning to put the Pertronix in the
Roadster, as well.

What would cause a failure?  Too much current in the primary?  Doesn't the MSD
run at lower current levels on the points side than the stock points/coil
ignition anyway?

How does this thing work, anyway?  It's not optical, so magnets and coils?  How
does it trigger the switch?

Other than the obvious (not having to worry about setting and changing points),
also saw the advantage of eliminating point float and bounce at high engine
speeds.  Years ago, I used to mail order comp points with a stronger spring, but
couldn't find them now.