Re: My "Cool Roadster" (was) Re: Overheating...

To: Ross <datsun@istar.ca>
Subject: Re: My "Cool Roadster" (was) Re: Overheating...
From: "David R. Conrad" <conrad1@gte.net>
Date: Thu, 11 May 2000 10:30:34 -1000

Ross wrote:

> Dave: your car might be running too cool now as your optimal performance
> is at 180 degrees. I still think you need to ditch that 7 bladed fan:
> two things will happen, more horsepower(less drag) and a hotter engine
> running temperature.

Ross--you kill joy ;-)!!

Yes, I thought of that possibility, but with all the problems of pulley
alignment in
converting to the old fan (not to mention the work!), I can easily adjust
engine temp
higher by baffling part of my "high efficiency" rad. with "judiciously" sized
cardboard
placed in front of the radiator (as I sometimes did in wintertime in Maryland).
 I'd much
prefer to be running a bit too cool than too hot.

Yes, I've put that problem behind me in my mind.  Next to the brakes.

I had replaced all of the caliper tubing with new about 12 years ago, after
experiencing a
failure with the original (plastic sleeved) tubing rusting under the plastic.
Occurred on
a "panic stop" and I lucked out.  Now my "new tubing" looks pretty  badly
rusted and think
should be replaced.  I had mistakenly thought it was stainless.

Dave,

'68 1600
Kailua-Kona