1600 transmission bushing question

To: "'datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net'" <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: 1600 transmission bushing question
From: "WILSON,BOB (A-SantaClara,ex1)" <bob_wilson@am.exch.agilent.com>
Date: Wed, 10 May 2000 08:04:46 -0600
Has anyone experience with the bushing (1.500" OD, 1.375" ID) that goes in
the rear end of my '70 1600 roadster transmission?  It is located where the
drive shaft mates to the transmission.  My original one was steel on the
outside and bronze on the inside.  The new one I got from Rallye seems to be
all steel, and the ID is about 0.013" too small -- so would need to be bored
out to be big enough for the drive shaft.  I thought this bushing was not
available anymore, so I made my own from Bearing Bronze, but then, later,
found that Rallye had this steel one.  Did Datsun change over to steel
because of too much wear on the bronze one?  ...seems that steel against
steel isn't quite right?

Bob Wilson  '70 1600 spl311-28383    10may00