Update-MANY topics

To: "ROADSTER LIST" <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Update-MANY topics
From: "nruff" <nruffcorn@prodigy.net>
Date: Fri, 5 May 2000 22:15:10 -0500
Hey all-
It feels like it has been a long time since I contibuted (at least a week
anyway)!  I've been spending any free time trying to get things finished
up-I use the word "finish" loosely.  If you remember, last fall (November to
be exact), I made the commitment to have my 67 done by the end of May.  I'm
sure I could have it done, but I am spending more time than I anticipated,
trying to make things right.  As with all your projects, I'm sure, I've run
into my fair share of set-backs.  It's much more satisfying knowing that I
am doing things right the first time.

Things I've run into:  feel free to share if you have any comments

Not wanting to ruin my speedo cable, I scavanged the 90 degree adapter from
one of my early 1600 trannies.  I dollied out the doghouse before installing
the engine, but apparently not enough as the adapter won't come close to
fitting in the correct location to thread it in.  I plan on drilling a small
hole to feed the cable through from the passenger compartment.  Didn't want
to cut, but no other choice seem relevant without removing the motor again.

Taking the advice of many of you, I am using a stainless flexible joint on
the end of my exhaust manifold.  It fit up really nicely.  Although tight, I
have run two inch piping back to a Turbo muffler before the axle hoop.  I
haven't had the axle hoop bent yet but am planning on running it out the
back through a short glass pack (to act as a resonator).  I'm looking
forward to hear what it sounds like-it will be nice to take a neighborhood
spin without waking EVERY neighbor. .On my later model roadsters, I seem to
remember a fiberglass type insulation being glued to the undercarriage.  Is
there anything similar I can use to prevent excessive heat buildup under the
drivers seat?  Inside, I  plan on using the foil/jute padding found common
on street rods.  Will this be sufficient to prevent the smoldering
carpeting?

I have assembled all the parts to relocate the battery to the trunk.  This
topic has been popular in the past.  I may have a new spin on installation.
I'll update with pictures if it turns out the way I want it to <g>.

I want to by-pass my heater core (2L) for now.  Is there a correct way?
Currently (very temporary) I have a heater hose running over the top of the
carbs connecting the inlet with the outlet.  After weeding through MANY
archives, I am still unclear of the safe way to do this.  I know my heater
alve is froze and fear my heater core has problems also.  I will eventually
fix it but want to spend my budget in other ways right now! (like shag
carpet, sheepskin seat covers, and custom dingle-ball installation).

Thanks again.
BTW, I've really enjoyed the threads lately.  Everything from the Z-car guy
to the interesting Healy/Roadster banter.  As always the roadster event pics
are priceless.

Nathan