Re: timing

To: "Dana Nojima (CBN)" <noji@mail.ahc.umn.edu>
Subject: Re: timing
From: "John F Sandhoff" <sandhoff@compctr.ccs.csus.edu>
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2000 11:30:56 PST8PDT
Dana writes:
> What is the correct timing for a non-smog late 2000?

Well, has the distributor been recurved? If you have a late-model
distributor, it provides 35 degrees total mechanical advance and
the base timing (idle speed, vacuum line disconnected) is zero degrees.
Yuck. Rotten off-the-line performance, but if you bump it up, you'll
get pinging at the high end.

For an early distributor, or a recurved one, you get only 15 degrees
mechanical advance so you set timing to 16 degrees (hey, those are
the book numbers. Don't blame me if they don't add up).

The only way to be sure what you have it to partly disassemble the
distributor. Remove the breaker plate and look down at the cam plate.
There will be a number stamped on it: 7.5 or 17.5. Double it to get total
advance (distributor runs at one-half crank speed).

> The way that the distributor is set up currently that is as low as it can
> go [10 degrees] using both adjusters.

You're off a tooth. Pull the distributor, turn the shaft one tooth width,
turn the OIL PUMP SHAFT too and drop it back in. Good for you that
you know about that second adjustment!

-- John