Re: problem changing front shocks

To: "Matt Peterson" <pete_303@hotmail.com>, <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: problem changing front shocks
From: "Fred Katz" <fredkatz@2xtreme.net>
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2000 00:28:36 -0700
Hi Matt,

Are you using a spring compressor to take the tension off the triangular
plate? If so, you should be able to use a hammer to tap the triangular
plate back into place. Also check that you have the correct corner of the
triangle positioned. If that doesn't work, then more drastic work may be
needed. Before attempting it, talk to a few mechanics, and get the right
tools - a pickle fork (and the spring compressor). It wouldn't hurt to have
a ball joint remover.

I know this sounds drastic but if all else fails you may have to do the
following work. And if you do, you might as well have new suspension boots
on hand and clean up everything.

Remove the wheel hub off the spindle. Remove the tie rod from the spindle
arm. Then unbolt the four bolts holding the suspension bumper and lower
ball joint. Then use a hammer to tap the spindle arm to cause the ball
joint to pull away from the triangular plate. Then loosely bolt the
triangular plate to the lower arms, and re-install the lower ball joint and
everything else. I put up some pictures to illustrate:

http://www.2xtreme.net/fredkatz/2lrest4.html

Keep in mind that my pics were for a complete suspension removal, so the
pics show the lower ball joint popped free from the spindle arm. You don't
need to go that far unless you intend to fix everything up (all new boots).

Hope this helps, Fred - So.SF

----------
> From: Matt Peterson <pete_303@hotmail.com>
> To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
> Subject: problem changing front shocks
> Date: Wednesday, April 19, 2000 10:35 PM
>
> Hello everyone,
>
> I have run into a slight problem while replacing my shocks.  The back
one's
> went on fine but the front one's are giving me some problems.  I first
tried
> to take the piece off that holds the shock in from the bottom but the
bolts
> were so corroded that I didn't want to attempt it.  So I pulled off the
> whole bottom triangular looking piece that supports the spring also.
Well