Re: particulate matter in the clutch fluid

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net, Daniel Neuman <dneuman@stars.sfsu.edu>
Subject: Re: particulate matter in the clutch fluid
From: Fred_Katz@ci.sf.ca.us
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 1999 17:04:04 -0800
Hi Daniel,

I can't imagine those black particles traveling all the way back up the
metal lines to the master cylinder. It's got to be the rubber parts
inside the master cylinder. There are several rubber pieces on the
piston assembly inside the cylinder. One slides along the cylinder wall
as hydraulic pressure is exerted against it. It may be getting chewed up
due to contaminants or pits. The more it gets chewed up, the less
effective it is in maintaining pressure. Even if it is only a year old,
it can get damaged due to contamination.

Sounds like you should get a rebuild kit. I wouldn't attempt opening up
the master cylinder unless you have a rebuild kit on hand (they're
cheaper than a brand new unit). Since your unit is only a year old, it
probably is not badly pitted, and may not have any pitting at all. If
cost is not an issue, get a new unit and a rebuild kit - install the new
unit and rebuild the old unit as a spare.

Tip: buy some glass eye droppers (you know, like syringes with a black
rubber squeeze bulb) at a drug store. Suction out all of the fluid from
the reservoir before bleeding the brakes. This minimizes pushing the
comtaminants into the lines.

Right now I'm rebuilding the brake slave cylinders on my '70. Yuck! From
now on I'm bleeding them every few months. Here's a stupid thing not to
do - accidentally loosen the wrong fitting instead of the bleeder and
tell your partner to press the brake pedal. Luckily it squirted up in
the fender well and not my face. From now on I do it when I'm not
sleepy!

Fred