PO: ultimate epoxy horror

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: PO: ultimate epoxy horror
From: SPL311RDST@aol.com
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 1999 11:08:20 EST
> SRL311KA@aol.com wrote:
>  >
>  > Hey, don't badmouth epoxy!

JB Weld... uh-huh. <G> Ok, my PO story:
My ex found a VERY nice 83 ElDorado in a breaker yard cheap. "Gee,,, it's got
a little bit of a rod-knock to it" they said. Wrong- it had a custom 2-piece
crankshaft. NO, <G> didn't JB that. But after obtaining a new crank and going
to install it, he kinda noticed the #1 M-bearing wouldn't tighten down.
Huh... ok... he never was too bright, and didn't seem to notice that there
was a gigantic crack right where the bearing cap bolted down. It ran up the
front of the block (250 alum. v8) all the way around the timing gear. $$ was
tight at that time (isn't it always?) so something had to be done
quick/cheap/fast. Someone (mighta been me <wink>) suggested the old
standby-JB Weld. It took several packages, and, well, that cap is never
coming off! Actually, I drove the car for a coupla' years before the
transaxle decided to go on permanent vacation. The JB was prolly the
strongest part of that block! I finally sold the car, making sure the guy
knew all about the tranny probs, but, uh.... he was so amazed that all the
bells&whistles worked that, I, uh <roll eyes>... might have forgotten to
mention the little engine repair.

Note: it turned out ok, I got a notice in the mail a coupla months ago - the
guy never trasferred the title, and the car had been impounded: "eluding an
officer in felony flight" was mentioned. He didn't deserve a cherry cadillac
anyway!

Laurie :-)
70 SPL311 (JBWeld-less!)
Chandler, AZ