Re: Fuel (was Temp...) gauge/sensor

To: Bob Mann <RWM@RWMann.com>
Subject: Re: Fuel (was Temp...) gauge/sensor
From: "Patrick J. Horne" <horne@cs.utexas.edu>
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 1999 11:14:39 -0600
Oops, I didn't read your mail correctly.  Try grounding the guage lead at the
tank.  If it goes to
full and stays there, the problemwill be either the sender in the tank, a bad
ground at the tank,
or a bad electrical connection at the tank.

If the guage behaves the same with the tank wire grounded, I would look at the
connections on the
back of the guage.  Ground the tank connection and see if things change.  If
you get a full reading,
then I would clean the tank wire electrical connections and make sure that they
are tight.  If that
doesn't do it, try cleaning and tightning the power connection.  If all else
fails, I expect the
guage to be defective.  I don't recall any contacts inside the guage that could
be dirty, but it
wouldn't hurt a defective guage to open it up and take a look.  As I recall the
guage is just a
small heating element wrapped around a bi-metal strip that is connected to the
needle.  Heating the
bi-metal strip makes it bend, pushing/pulling the needle.  If my recollections
are correct, the
only way that the guage could be the problem is if there is a connection that
breaks the connection
when the strip bends.

Good luck.

Peace,
Pat

--
Pat Horne, Network Manager, Shop Supervisor, Hardware Guru
voice (512)471-9517, fax (512)471-8885, UUCP:cs.utexas.edu!horne