Re: 2000 Head Question

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net, nruffcorn@prodigy.net
Subject: Re: 2000 Head Question
From: walter@omni.sps.mot.com (Thomas Walter)
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 99 12:27:08 CST
Nathan,

The most recent gaskets from NISSAN are fantastic. You install them
as is, but they have sealant around the front cover area and also
extra around the oil hole passage.

Trick is just to make sure the block and head are flat, install the
gasket... and should work fine.

Other folks have also discovered an OEM NISSAN rubber o-ring that
seems to help in sealing the oil passage. I do not have the part
number, as I haven't done that trick.

As to MACHINING the head and block for the piece of metal pipe,
what type of machining tools does your dad have? With both the head
and block totally stripped before rebuild, just machine a deeper
hole about 0.200" deep into the head and also into the block.
Typical gasket thickness compressed is 0.060". With a piece of
copper tube cut to +0.200" + 0.200" + 0.060" + 0.010" crush...
you end up with the correct length. Allows for 0.010" crush,
and the copper will slightly expand giving a tighter seal.

I would not attempt machining the hole into the block, while the
block is in the car... I would be scared to death of the maching
chips in the oil passage. Hence best on a stripped down block.

Cheers,

Tom Walter
Austin, TX