Re: Synchros

To: "Dan and Louise Yates" <yates@sk.sympatico.ca>
Subject: Re: Synchros
From: "John F Sandhoff" <sandhoff@compctr.ccs.csus.edu>
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 1999 15:48:51 PST8PDT
Dan asks:
> How can I tell if the synchros in my 4 speed are in good shape while the
> trans is out of the car? Visually everything seems fine..

Don't know about the synchros (I recall that if you have the tranny
apart you can just turn them around? Don't trust me on that!). But
on the 4 speed, if it's apart you'll want to seriously consider pulling
the countershaft and its bearings and checking them out. Cheap now,
expensive if they go! This PM is documented in the archives; I'll repost
if you don't have a copy (I believe it was Tom Walter that's mentioned it
in the past).

The dealer says there's two types of bearings, so you'll have to pull
the tranny down before you know which one to buy.

-- John

p.s. A word to the eBay bidders - before buying some of the 'rare'
NOS parts, check with the dealer and our suppliers - you'll find
some of those parts are still common and inexpensive...