Seeking Info on an SPL213 (Long)

To: "'Datsun Email List'" <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Seeking Info on an SPL213 (Long)
From: Gary Ward <gary.ward@do1.scccd.cc.ca.us>
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 1999 12:11:23 -0700
To the Group:

I am a visitor here.  Not an owner of a Datsun but a Fiat (please, keep
down the boos).  The reason I am writing is to ask for any help anyone in
this group can render.

My brother owned either an SPL213 or SPL212 in 1965.  The car was bought
used during that year.  I am not sure which model since they are almost
identical in appearance except for horsepower and a few other internal
items.  I surmise that it was a 213 because my father remembers that it was
"a couple of years old" when my father got it for my brother.

It was red with red interior, white sidewalls.  It was owned from 1965 to
1966 in San Diego, California.  California license plate number KTS100.
 The car was sold in 1966 because my brother was headed up to "cold
country" and needed something more practical.  I was too young to drive at
that time, so the car was sold to a man between the age of 24 and 30.  Only
one person looked at the car and he bought it.  The price the new buy paid
was around $800-$1,000 (yeah, I know, but remember this is in 1966--a
dollar meant something back then).

Anyway, my brother recently died and I am on a nostalgia trip on some of
the things we did together.  Maybe it is therapy, maybe it is a middle-aged
man seeking to capture something of his youth.  Whatever the reason, I have
been interested in tracking down what happened to this auto.

It probably has been junked long ago.  They only made about 500 total for
both these models combined.  But if anyone could know of its fate, perhaps
this group can.

I would appreciate any help or direction that is available.  Thanks for
allowing me to take up some of your band width.  Talk to as many people as
you can, off the list as well.  Respond privately by email if you wish.

Again, thanks.

Gary T. Ward
1971 Fiat 124 Sport Spider