on cam regrinding

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: on cam regrinding
From: Dan Neuman <dneuman@stars.sfsu.edu>
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 1999 10:20:19 -0700
Hello All,
        Could someone please explain to me what exactly is meant when
a cam is reground??  I understand that the lobes on the cam control how the
valves are opened.  Isn't the faces of the lobes some sort of treated metal
so that they can stand up to the punishment?? IF you regrind them dont you
remove this layer??  If you grind down the lobes won't that change how the
valves are opened??
        I don't remember who was telling me this..maybe it was a supplier??
But this person was saying that he had a profile to regrind a solex cam to make
more power thru out the rev range, especially down low.  How is a
cam reground  to do this???
        Is there a cam FAQ that I am missing??

                Thanks,
                        DAniel 69 2000