A REAL 10 10ths plus a little

To: "'Toby B'" <toby@wolfenet.com>,
Subject: A REAL 10 10ths plus a little
From: Howard Fletcher <hgf@netro.com.au>
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 1999 23:37:43 +1000
I found 10.01/10ths on Sunday.

Sideways at 160 kph (100mph) then with two wheels on the wet grass and two
on the road circuit.

Maybe my decision in the qualifying session to keep it flat until I hit the
start finish line then think about slowing in the permanently yellow
flagged area (where a 2 inch deep 15 yard wide stream was running across
the track) was not the best judgement.  As I got it back on the road
circuit (again not so tidily), friends said that the sheet of water lifted
was two or three times as tall as the car.

A Porche in the following session was not so lucky as it got all four paws
on the grass and successfully attempted to integrate with the wall, (driver
OK, car not)
About then they red flagged qualifying for the 10th time and with half the
day over, cancelled the race meeting. An hour later the sun broke through.

With my 4 inch windscreen (see Gordon's web site) it was a thoroughly
miserable race day with my backside sitting in 1/2 inch of cold water in
the Driver's seat, (that part of the seat floor mounted and consisting of
1/2 inch of sponge rubber when not compressed).

Still, back to work and no car damage, no flu, my adrenalin fix for the
month, brake pads worn in, new tyres heat cycled, and a tale to tell, no
trophy, but all is well for the next time.

Regards

Datsun 2000 67.5 RHD Solex (50mm)