Flowmasters and Glasspacks

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Flowmasters and Glasspacks
From: HIGHKIX4@aol.com
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 1999 20:42:38 EDT
Hello List,
Just made a cardboard mockup of a 2 chamber flowmaster
muffler,  9.75 by 13 inch case size, and guess what, no way will
it fit in the normal spot between the X member and frame.
I have heard of folks fitting similar high performance
rectangular mufflers either here, or just behind the cross
member, but I want to keep the space by the axle free for
possible future panhard rods, track bars, etc, and I had
my heart set on a genuine flowmaster, sooo oh well.

This brings me to my fallback plan, and my question.
Fallback plan is 2  glasspacks, 2inch inside diameter,
4inch case size.  One between the crossmember and
one out back where the factory resonator would be.  I
would use just one, but my wife would never drive the car,
assuming it does get finished some day.  I figure 2 in series
would still be a very free flowing system, but how loud
would it be?  Significantly quieter than just one?
I'm looking for the guy who has done this, or heard
one.
I have a high compression, heavily cammed up, ported
pushrod 2L, so I need a free breathing system to take
advantage of all the other stuff, and want a nice
strong growl, but not call-the-cops  loud.
I need to do something, neighbors are becoming less
polite about my once a week start up back in the garage
with the open header.

Also, 2 glasspacks would be cheaper than one
flowmaster.....
Thanks,
Jim
Pushrod 2L R-108896