compression followup

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: compression followup
From: "John E. Stromgren" <jstromgr@sqi.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 1999 10:48:14 -0700 (PDT)
Howdy, all.

I had asked about my compression awhile back, which was showing 175, 170, 175,
170.  The mechanic suggested it was a build up of carbon and found that the
valve seals needed to be replaced.  (Ross will probably chuckle at this, because
he guessed as much some time ago - but don't worry, Ross - I'm saving the big
stuff for you.)

My temp was running high and I had pinging problems that I couldn't seem to fix.
Since replacing the seals I've been watching the temperature closely (which I've
been doing all along, anyway) and waiting for it to drop back to normal.  It
seemed to be slipping back almost imperceptibly, until Sunday, when I noticed it
looking quite normal.  On top of that, no pinging.  Maybe I burned up my carbon
caking!

Being in Seattle this time of year I don't rashly put the top down, but Sunday
it was undeniably sunny and warm for at least an hour an a half, and I drove
back from Seattle to Issaquah with the top down feeling in my prime.  Now I'm
curious to check the compression and see if there's a corresponding drop.

Thanks for all the input.  It feels great to learn something.

-John
John E. Stromgren
'70 2000 (#14061)
Issaquah, WA, USA