TOKICO and NHK, and misc brake ramblings

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: TOKICO and NHK, and misc brake ramblings
From: HIGHKIX4@aol.com
Date: Sun, 24 Oct 1999 08:59:09 EDT
Hello List,
Taking a break from wet sanding, and doing mechanical things
instead on my project.  Was cleaning and degreasing under the
car, noticed rear leafs had printed on them
"NHK   3020"
also noticed shocks were
"TOKICO  2024  XE 19"
Just wanted to know if anyone had and info on these.
I would think the original springs would be just a rusty surface
by now, so wanted to know if these aftermarket springs were
just OEM quality, or some sort of competition part.
Same with shocks.
Spent a whole afternoon with the emergency brake linkage,
disassemble, clean, paint, grease, and reinstall.
Really amazing how many pins, pivots, cotter pins, etc
in that thing.  Works very well now, was frozen up in
several places and missing parts before.  Figured a
good emergency brake is paramount in a car with a
single master cyl....
Also looked at the brakes.   Got some super aluminum
cleaner from work, drums look very nice now.  Inside
was surprised to see no pins or retaining springs to hold
the shoes.  No self adjusters, and the PO must never
have adjusted them, as they are worn only at the
wheel cyl end, and only on one side, witch means
there are bad goings on waiting to be discovered in
at least one wheel cyl.
QUESTION:  On one side the shoes were arranged with the
longer amount of friction material at the wheel cyl end, , which is
where I would put them, but on the driver side the shoes were
arranged opposite.  Three shoes had holes to accomadate the
emergency brake tang and one did not.  Can anyone
offer any insight on this!  I will be reading over my 1970
Datsun reapair manual, which has a good roadster section,
but would appreciate any insight from folks who have been there.
Thanks,
Jim
1967 pushrod 2L
Chesapeake Va