Back on the list, progress on the restoration

To: Datsun Roadsters <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Back on the list, progress on the restoration
From: "Mark Coffin" <coffinm@mail.ecu.edu>
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 1999 21:22:05 +0000
Hi all,

Since I've been  off the list for a few months, I've missed
all of the latest discussions.  I hope I don't repeat what's
been going on lately!

The '68 2L is coming along nicely.  This week I was able to
put the engine/tranny into the frame after much disassembly,
cleaning and painting of the whole shooting match.  It's nice
to see it sitting in the powder coated frame, with most of the
suspension installed.  It's starting to look like a car again!
The rear suspension/brakes are almost completed, and once that's
done I can finish up the driveline.  It was very interesting trying
to figure out how to disassemble the driveshaft u-joints with my
little homemade press.  Those flanges are NOT parallel, which made
it quite fun!  Like most stuff on a 30 yr old car, the u-joints were
worn and I figured now is the time to remove and replace those little
devils, rather than wait until I was 500 miles from home. Good thing
too because both of them had severe grooves where the needle bearings
rode.  Plus it makes it easier to paint the driveshaft and flanges!

One piece of advice that I got on this list that I'm glad I followed
was the taking of notes when I disassembled the car.  Even something
as simple as installing a rear wheel cylinder can be confusing if
you don't have notes - the manuals aren't much help.

I would like to thank Jim Tyler of Topless Datsun.   He's helped me out
quite a bit this summer by sending all the little hard to find pieces
I've needed to keep this project going.  If you need Roadster parts, Jim
can get them for you that's for sure.  Thanks, Jim!

More as the project continues...

Mark Coffin
68 2L - frame off restoration continuing full speed ahead!
Winterville, NC