Mt Palomar 10/10/99 trip report

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Mt Palomar 10/10/99 trip report
From: Joseph Roach <jroach@qualcomm.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 1999 19:44:12 -0700
On Sunday, a few of us San Diego guys gathered at Barrie's house for an
afternoon drive. Philip Erickson and Soheil were there with their 69 2L
solexes (both red), me with my 65 (red), and of course, Barrie and his 66
2L (red). Duram Plummer also stopped by (without roadster) and talked cars
with us for awhile and then eventually it was time to mount up and be off.
The day was a warm one, mostly 90 degrees inland as the santa anna winds
had warmed things up for the past couple of days. A great day to be out in
the roadster and we made our plans and set off for Mt Palomar. We took
mostly back roads starting with Wild Cat Canyon road and were soon cruising
the country side, four red roadsters in line. We hit Mesa Grande and then
my favorite stretch of pavement in San Diego, route S6 to the top of Mt
Palomar. At the top, we had lunch at the Lodge. Its a rustic place, good
atmosphere, good food and a very casual spot to stop and enjoy the
mountain. On our way back, we headed down the backside which isn't as curvy
and intense as S6 but still has plenty of fun curves. I really enjoyed this
section because the fire-charred landscape made quite an impression. I
guess about a week earlier, thousands of acres had caught fire. The drive
itself was quite scenic and that was just kind of neat to see up close. It
also turned out that both Phil and Soheil live within a couple of miles of
me so the return trip was fun to have the three of us cruising along back
to the coast in line to about the very end.

Thanks Phil, thanks Soheil, thanks Barrie ... I enjoyed the ride!

Looking forward to the Doheney State beach show and cruising again!

Joseph Roach
65 1500
San Diego, CA