Re: rear wheel bearings

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net, slick@mohaveaz.com
Subject: Re: rear wheel bearings
From: walter@omni.sps.mot.com (Thomas Walter)
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 99 17:22:06 CDT
[snip]
>  I would think that a bearing supply
> house could come up with a sealed bearing that would replace the wheel
> bearings on the rear of a Datsun Roadster, in this day and age. after all
> the rear bearings on a Roadster are over 30 years old.  Time for an update.

Patrick,

Good Point. On MOST bearings you can order them in three different ways;
(open, single shielded, double shielded). Catch is the Roadster Rear Axle
bearing is such an odd ball item.

It is ALMOST identical to a 6206 (206 in some catalogs), but the inner
diameter is NOT the same as a 6206. Hence for Nissan is a 6206A. Not
common in Europe, nor in the USA. If you find a source for them, please
let us know! [I suspect a Japanese bearing house would have better luck
in finding them]

On the rear axle of a Datsun 510, with IRS, those bearings are good for
around 500,000 miles! Not uncommon to see 300,000 on them. I finally
pulled some axle stubs on one vehicle, only to discover the bearings
were find and NOT a source of noise. [The 510 used the standard 6206
size, and has a PAIR of them per side].

In the case of a roadster, they will also last 100,000 miles as long
as everything else is fine. Usually the axle seal will start leaking,
and the 90W gear oil drips out past the rear wheel bearing. In that
case the life of the bearing is shortened due to the gear oil washing
out the grease.  I glanced at one roadster, and spotted the dirt covered
backing plate of the rear brakes and mentioned to the owner he might
want to pull the axles and check the bearings as they should be replaced.
He was a little amazed that he had a bearing FAILURE on the way home
after I mentioned that! Opps. (Caked on gear oil/dirt on the backing
plate was the giveaway).

Cheers,

Tom Walter  '67 2000
Austin, TX  '68 2000