Re: safety

To: Gordon Glasgow <glasgow@serv.net>
Subject: Re: safety
From: Fred_Katz@ci.sf.ca.us
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 1999 10:10:07 -0700
I know people are suspicious. I was simply offering safety information for
that guy's son. I have two teenage daughters who drive, and want them to be
aware of any risks. The problem with the Mustangs is well known, and
after-market suppliers sell kits to reinforce the gas tanks. Michael
pointed out to me that he has (or is getting) an item to correct the
problem, namely a sheet metal part that replaces the cardboard panel in
back of the rear seat. I pointed out that this doesn't take care of the
problem 60 minutes showed, which was the trunk lid buckling and blowing out
the rear windshield, followed by a shower of gasoline through the window
opening into the passenger area. Whether or not they dramatized something
doesn't matter, there is a safety risk with the car, and I think people
should know what could possibly happen and whether they have truly prepared
for it.

Aren't you glad our roadsters don't have that problem! Only one I can think of
is the rollbar, which really isn't. My younger daughter will be driving the '70
1600 soon. Before then, I'll get the rollbar reinforced to the frame. What does
Rallye call them, a 'sports bar'? Because they can punch through the body and
may not protect in a roll-over. Right now, I've got the front uprights resting
on the frame, but not the rear, so I have limited protection. I'm teaching her
how to avoid roll-overs in our van, more likely there than in the roadster.
Driving should be about knowing the risks and being prepared to deal with it.

Fred - So.SF