on the road again, and tach cable leak..

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: on the road again, and tach cable leak..
From: "Dan Neff" <neffster@mail.bemail.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 1999 09:40:15 MDT
Well, since the digests seem awfully thin lately, i'll delurk for a
moment..

Deer Datsun Diary,

   My roadster hasn't been cold starting for beans for nearly 2
months now. it hit so fast, i thought it was a bad tank of gas.
Normally it would start in about 1 second - any temp, any weather.
I've been fooling with carbs, chokes, fuel filter, plug wires, etc..
FINALLY, last night i put a new distr cap, condenser, and new plugs
in (finally found a shop that carries the NGK's. never did like
Bosch platinum's (that i had in it)). TA-DA!! we seem to have solved
it!! I would have argued that in last 2 months, it ran fine once
started, but i'm embarrassed to admit it runs noticeably better now.
i waited too long for something!!

   How many miles should we be getting out of plugs, (stock) points
and cap? That was only about 8k miles on the plugs (pretty
carbonized. altho compared to my first set, they at least all burned
the same!!). I think i went 8-9k on points, 10k on cap. well, i'll
qualify that: i noticed the stupid plastic gizmo that the points wire
attaches to was raised about a 1/32" - just enough to cause the cap
to wobble. dunno if it was like that before, but when i installed
the condenser, that was the first time i realized that part moved!!
so i adjusted it down until cap flushed to it. i suppose that alone
could have caused all my grief!

   Oil pan gasket has been leaking since i bought it. thought i'd
try a 1/4 turn tighten; see if it'd help. WRONG.. Week and 1/2
downtime waiting for a new gasket. still got a couple of 'oil stripes'
down the driveway ;) (i figured it out before i ran out of oil;
close call!!). got it running again over the weekend, so all told
this is turning into a great week of improvements, which for a
daily-driver is BIG!!
   I might add, the previous gasket was a fiber material. obviously
it didn't work too well for me. i replaced it with factory cork.
looks like rear main seal leaks too. THAT will have to wait..

Mon, 09 Aug 1999 Ray Cole <raycole@mindspring.com> wrote:
>Oil dripping on my leg.  Fix is to replace the seal on the tach cable drive.
>Question is, exactley  where does it go?  I have removed the distributor
>including the housing for the tach drive.  When you remove the large nut on
>the outside of the housing it appears that the seal could go on the interior
>or on the exterior of that piece the large nut is a part of.  Hard to explain
>but hope someone has the answer.

Same here. That's next on my list. i replaced tach cable about a
month ago, and while i got A washer with it (that goes in the
distributor?), it doesn't even flush up with the tach's plate!
(inside the 'large nut'). One piece of advice I got was to get a
Home Depot rubber plumbing washer that will fit snug in the large
nut, with just enough center hole to allow the tach cable thru.
kinda annoying considering i replaced a tach cable that leaked at
the distributor, with a shredded washer (inside the distributor),
but IT didn't leak at the dash! Comments?
thanks.

Dan Neff   '69 2000
       SRL311-12866
Colorado Springs,CO